2 police officers shot at Philadelphia airport, 1 fatal

A Philadelphia police officer was killed and another injured on his way to work Thursday night when they were confronted by people who broke into a vehicle in a parking garage at Philadelphia International Airport, authorities said.

Another person may have been involved in the shooting who was brought to the hospital separately and died there, but investigators have not yet confirmed whether that was the case, the city’s interim police commissioner said. John M. Stanford, Jr. told reporters early friday.

Mr. Stanford said further social media that the police are looking for the suspects and intend to bring them into custody. The Philadelphia Police Department has not released the names of the officers.

The officers who were shot were assigned to the airport and were parked in a parking garage shortly after 11 p.m. when they approached the men who had broken into another car, Stanford said at a news conference.

“The suspects opened fire” on the officers, striking one officer multiple times in the upper torso and another in the arm, Mr. Stanford said.

Both officers were first transported to Methodist Hospital, he said. One of them, a 50-year-old, was then taken to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:34 p.m. The other officer, a 60-year-old man, was taken to Jefferson Hospital in stable condition.

“A numbing, numbing moment for us,” Mr. Stanford said, adding that three other officers in the department had been killed in the past week. “You can imagine what this department is going through.”

Due to the shooting, Philadelphia International Airport officials closed Terminal D and the parking garage for Terminals D and E shortly after 11 p.m., city Department of Aviation spokeswoman Heather Redfern said in an email.

During the shutdown, five planes held up passengers for about 30 minutes, she said. Around 12:30 p.m., officials said the terminal was reopened to passengers. Access to the garage was restored except for the first level, officials said around 4 a.m

Leave a Comment