Alan Wake Up 2 splits its campaign between the titular writer of the original game and a new character, FBI agent Saga. While both play largely the same, each has some bespoke elements. Besides small touches like each having their own weapons and inventory, they also have different sets of collectibles to search for. While Saga needs to track down and complete things like Nursery Rhymes and unlocking Cult Stashes, Alan’s hidden items, called Words of Power, are more in line with his profession. It’s more of a concept than an actual physical object to pick up, and it has to be picked up in a unique way. Not only are they worth finding as they can unlock Trophies, but they will also help smooth out the difficulty curve as they serve as upgrades for Alan. Our words may not be as strong as Alan’s, but they can still guide you to every Word of Power location in Alan Wake Up 2.
Words of Power are environmental objects that only Alan can interact with. While exploring the passage, you will be able to hunt down these places on the map and find spirals of words written somewhere. To “collect” it, you just need to shine it at the right angle — your controller will vibrate to let you know you’re getting close.
Words of Power are divided into seven types, each of which offers three different upgrade options in different areas. Here are each type and how they can improve Alan’s skills.
- Word of Fix: improved health stats
- Word of Gun: increases weapon and ammo stats
- Word of War: increases weapon damage
- Word of Stuff: increases inventory space, displays resources on the map, or adds charge to your flashlight
- Word of Aid: improves beacons and healing items
- Word of Action: increases damage taken or decreases damage taken
- Words of Lamp: improves your torch abilities
Like all collectibles in Alan Wake Up 2Words of Power are scattered throughout every main zone you visit, and some can only be accessed later, after you’ve made story progress or returned before the game ends.
Words of Power in Dark Places
There are seven Words of Power to be found in the first large zone you reach as Alan, but the final zone cannot be obtained until you return after getting the door code that allows you into the Oceanview Hotel.
- The first word you get should not be missed because it is part of your main objective. You’ll get the Word of Fix from above the door after you get the gun and flashlight.
- Taking the light on your lamp from the first word, backtrack down the alley towards Caldera St Station. and use the light to illuminate the lamp at the top of the rising stairs. This will open the blocking passage so you can climb onto the roof and through the door. You will see a yellow arrow directing you along the way to the Word of Lamp.
- In the northeastern part of the map, where you find the sheriff, the word will be in the same room.
- Head south from the sheriff and climb the scaffolding across the street. This will turn you around and take you to Word of War between some air ducts.
- Go south again, and light the taxi with your lights to turn it into a police car. Enemies will appear when you do this, so be ready. Go to the area where they ambushed you. The word is on the wall.
- After walking down Draft Street, turn around and highlight these words at the bottom of the bridge.
- Head to Wheeler Street and pick up this Word from outside the Talk Show Studio with some trash cans.
Subway Power Words
Subway also stocks a ton of Power Words – 10 so far.
- As soon as you get into the subway, you’ll use Echo to change the environment. Once you do, the news will be displayed on the train door.
- Look across the break room on the other side of the barricade for this word.
- Take the lamp and take it to the main tunnel and look behind the metal shelf rack.
- After climbing the stairs, turn around and duck under a construction. Look straight up to find this word.
- Once you get inside the fire-damaged train, go down the stairs, but don’t climb down the stairs. Instead, turn around and go around the corner. You need to destroy the wooden pallet to reveal the word.
- Now you can go down the stairs and find the next word on the left wall behind the gate.
- After reaching Shrine St. Station, head through the water and look for a wall on the left.
- Get on the train and scan the wall on the right to collect this word.
- On the other side of Shrine St., the next word is almost impossible to miss because it’s right up front.
- As you climb the stairs and exit, stop next to the break room and look through the closed fence for the word.
Oceanview Hotel Words of Power
There are only three words we need to collect from the hotel.
- On the second floor, enter room 224 and break the wooden plank to enter the bathroom and get some news.
- When passing through the hall, examine the glass panel above the door on your left. Through it, you can catch this cunning word.
- Rest on the bar and look straight up to collect one more word.
Poet Cinema Power Words
Our final Three Words are on Poet’s Cinema.
- Once you find the break room, climb the stairs and look at the wall behind the standing lamp.
- Once on the roof, go to the spotlight and look down in the corner under the window.
- Finally, the last word is emblazoned on the large water tower.