Former US soldier who killed Iraqi civilian charged with attack on police on January 6

A former U.S. Army soldier who was convicted of manslaughter in the 2004 killing of an Iraqi civilian was charged Monday with assaulting police officers with a baton during a Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol, the Justice Department announced.

The former soldier, Edward Richmond Jr., 40, of Geismar, La., who was arrested Monday in Baton Rouge, faces several federal charges, including civil disorder; entering and staying in a restricted area with a deadly or dangerous weapon; and assaulting, resisting or obstructing certain officers, prosecutors said.

A U.S. military spokesman, Bryce S. Dubee, confirmed that Mr. Richmond was convicted of manslaughter in 2004, the same year he was deployed to Iraq. Mr. Richmond, who served in the Army from 2002 to 2008, was court-martialed to a reduction in rank from private, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, three years in prison and a dishonorable discharge, Dubee said.

He was released from prison on parole in 2006 with nearly a year left on his original sentence, according to the Associated Press.

According to the Associated Press, Mr. Richmond killed a cowherd who was being held captive along with other men in an Iraqi village near Taal Al Jai by the military on February 28, 2004. The herdsman, Muhamad Husain Kadir, was handcuffed. when Mr. Richmond shot him in the back of the head from six feet as the man stumbled, the AP reported.

In his defence, Mr Richmond, then 20, said that although he had not seen Mr. Kadira with a weapon, he thought Mr. Kadir rushed to attack another soldier, adding that he did not know the hands of Mr. Kadira was tied up, according to the wire service.

In a statement from the Justice Department on Monday, prosecutors said Mr. Richmond was among a group of about 10 people traveling from Ohio to Washington, D.C., to attend pro-Trump rallies planned for Jan. 6, when Congress was scheduled to certify the results. presidential elections at the Capitol in 2020.

Investigators identified Mr. Richmond in several images and videos from the Jan. 6 Capitol break-in, including closed-circuit television footage and video captured by body-worn body cameras, according to an affidavit written by an FBI agent criminal complaint filed in US District Court in Washington.

Mr. Richmond is seen in pictures filed in the lawsuit wearing a black helmet, goggles, shoulder pads and a Louisiana flag patch attached to a camouflage-patterned vest.

CCTV footage shows him amid a throng of rioters near the Capitol tunnel. Body camera footage from the officers shows him repeatedly “using a baton to strike the officers,” prosecutors said.

Mr. Richmond is scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in Louisiana at 10 a.m. Tuesday, his lawyer, John McLindon, said. He declined to comment on the case.

So far, federal authorities have charged more than 1,265 people in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the Capitol, including more than 440 accused of “assaulting or obstructing” police officers, according to the Justice Department.

The department’s efforts have so far resulted in more than 720 convictions, with sentences ranging from just a few days to more than 20 years in prison.

Leave a Comment